Are you sporting a tattoo that you wish never happened? At Boulevard Dermatology in Northeast Philadelphia, board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Deirdre Wood, offers safe and effective tattoo removal with the PicoSure laser system. Performed in multiple short treatments over several weeks, this innovative way to remove tattoos produces remarkable results.
In the past, doctors and aestheticians have struggled to remove their patients' unwanted tattoos. Certain ink colors (blue and green) are particularly stubborn, and scarring often resulted.
As with any medical issue, treatment by a fully-qualified physician avoids needless complications such as infection, burns, scars and variations in skin texture. In other words, says the American Academy of Dermatology, tattoo removal is best performed by the professionals.
Enter modern tattoo removal through state-of-the-art laser treatments. Your Northeast Philadelphia dermatologist uses the inventive PicoSure laser. This instrument delivers intense, focused beams of light directly under the skin where tattoo ink resides. The light breaks up the ink into tiny particles which the body itself can eliminate naturally.
Several ten-minute treatments produce amazing--and permanent--results. Patients experience only a mild heat sensation and then return to their daily activities right away. The laser works well on all tattoo colors and on most sites on the body, including the abdomen, upper and lower arms, legs and more.
Besides removing typical tattoos, FDA-cleared the PicoSure laser system also eliminates permanent make-up (such as lip liner). Dr.Wood will perform a skin examination and review your medical history before recommending any laser procedure.
Finally, PicoSure is effective on all skin types. It also treats areas of hyperpigmentation from sun exposure, facial wrinkles and stubborn acne scars. Smooth, evenly pigmented skin is the result.
Come see us
Enjoy clearer, tattoo-free skin from your friends at Boulevard Dermatology in Northeast Philadelphia. Call today for an individualized skin consultation with our professional team. We look forward to helping you meet your aesthetic goals. Phone (267) 731-1333.
5 Cosmetic Procedures That Will Banish Wrinkles
As people age, the natural production of elastin and collagen diminishes, which leads to wrinkles on the skin. Wrinkles are also caused by tobacco use, poor hydration, sun damage, and other factors. Led by Dr. Deirdre Wood and Dr. Jennifer LaRusso, Boulevard Dermatology (located in Philadelphia, PA) offers state-of-the-art skin procedures for the patients they serve. Read on to learn about 5 cosmetic procedures that will banish your wrinkles for good.
1. Chemical peels. If you want to improve your appearance without surgery, chemical peels could be the secret to getting that youthful look. There are a variety of chemical peels available in different strengths. Glycolic acid, lactic acid, trichloroacetic acid, salicylic acid, or carbonic acids are used, sometimes in varying combinations. Chemical peels improve appearance by using a chemical solution to remove the upper layer of skin. The new replacement skin is less wrinkled in appearance.
2. Microneedling. Microneedling is a treatment that involves repeatedly puncturing the skin with tiny needles. It's also called collagen induction therapy (CIT) and skin needling. Microneedling is used to treat and improve conditions like acne scarring, wrinkles, loose skin, skin texture, brown spots, pore size, pigment issues, and stretch marks. Microneedling stimulates the growth of elastin and collagen, which is the key to new, youthful-looking skin.
3. Microderm. Microdermabrasion, also called Microderm, is an effective means of removing fine lines and wrinkles while giving your face a refreshed, vital look. Microderm uses diamond tips or crystals to exfoliate and remove the superficial layer of dead skin cells. It stimulates the production of collagen, which smoothes out wrinkles. The procedure is painless and non-invasive.
4. BOTOX. BOTOX can improve your appearance and make you look years younger. BOTOX is a medication that is injected into the muscles to improve the appearance of wrinkles, crow's feet, and facial creases. It also removes lines on the forehead, around the mouth, and between the eyebrows. BOTOX injections work by blocking nerves and weakening or paralyzing certain muscles in the body. BOTOX is a minimally invasive treatment that delivers dramatic results.
5. Dermal fillers. Dermal fillers, like Juvederm, Sculptra, and Restylane eliminate wrinkles and fine lines by injecting hyaluronic acid into the face, adding structure and plumpness to the skin. Dermal fillers reduce the appearance of wrinkles by replacing lost collagen due to skin damage or aging. Most fillers will fill hollows, fine lines, and wrinkles in less than 30 minutes, with results that can last from four months to one year.
Kiss those wrinkles goodbye! Call Boulevard Dermatology at 267-731-1333 today to schedule a consultation in Philadelphia, PA. Dr. Deidre Wood and Dr. Jennifer LaRusso are available by appointment. Our wrinkle treatments have helped thousands of people enhance their appearance, boosting their confidence and improving their lives. And they will do the same for you. We want you to live your best life!
How your dermatologist in Northeast Philadelphia, PA, can help you have beautiful, clear skin
Psoriasis is a genetic autoimmune disease during which your body causes you to make skin cells abnormally fast, leading to rough, scaly patches on your skin. Psoriasis can be itchy, unpleasant, and unsightly causing the red, scaly patches on your scalp, elbows, knees, and other areas of your body. Certain triggers can make psoriasis worse.
Fortunately, there are effective treatments to get relief and help clear up psoriasis break-outs. Dr. Deirdre Wood at Boulevard Dermatology in Northeast Philadelphia, PA, offers treatments to help give you the clear, beautiful skin you deserve.
Treatment for psoriasis varies, depending on how much of your body is affected. For mild psoriasis, it means that less than 3% of your body is affected. Mild psoriasis treatment from your dermatologist typically includes:
- Over-the-counter or prescription moisturizing creams, shampoos, or bath treatments
- Topical steroid medications to reduce itch and slow skin cell growth
- Light or laser therapy to help eliminate psoriasis patches
You have moderate psoriasis if between 3% and 10% of your body is affected, and severe psoriasis if over 10% of your body is affected. For moderate to severe psoriasis, you need more than just over-the-counter treatments. Professional treatment for moderate to severe psoriasis typically includes:
- Prescription strength oral medications including cyclosporine and methotrexate, which lower production of skin cells and reduce inflammation
- Biologic drugs which help to suppress the immune system; these are reserved for the most severe cases of psoriasis.
- Light therapy using natural sunlight, lasers, or phototherapy to help eliminate psoriasis patches
The itching and burning pain of psoriasis can be uncomfortable, but you don’t have to deal with it alone. Your dermatologist wants to partner with you to achieve the clear, beautiful skin you deserve. Get some help for psoriasis by calling Dr. Deirdre Wood at Boulevard Dermatology in Northeast Philadelphia, PA. Get back to clear skin by calling today!
Find out the best options for treating your skin cancer.
Millions of Americans each year will find out that they have skin cancer. Regardless of whether our northeast Philadelphia dermatologist Dr. Deirdre Wood has found melanoma or basal cell carcinoma, you will require immediate treatment to remove the cancerous lesion. Of course, the type of treatment that is right for you will depend on several factors including,
- The type of skin cancer
- The stage of the skin cancer
- The location of the lesion
- Your current health status
As you might imagine, our Philadelphia skin doctor offers different treatment options to tackle everything from basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma to actinic keratosis and melanoma. The most standard skin cancer treatments include,
Surgery: This includes a traditional excision, in which the tumor is cut out of the skin, and Mohs surgery, which involves removing the tumor in thin layers to preserve as much healthy tissue as possible. Mohs is a great treatment option for those who have a cancerous lesion located on a very delicate or sensitive area of the body. In some cases, cryotherapy can also be used to freeze and destroy the cancer cells.
Radiation: During radiation therapy x-rays and other forms of radiation are directed over the skin cancer to kill the cells and to prevent them from multiplying. There are two types of radiation: External and internal. With external radiation a machine sends radiation through the body, while with internal radiation a catheter or needle will be placed near the cancer to deliver radiation.
Chemotherapy: This is another common type of cancer treatment that stops the development of cancer cells through the use of powerful medication. When most people think of chemotherapy they think of medication being administered through an IV but when it comes to treating certain skin cancers, topical chemotherapy is the most common method.
Phototherapy: During phototherapy, a drug is administered into the skin. Then a special light is directed over the lesion, where it will activate the drug to seek out and destroy the cancer cells while leaving healthy tissue intact.
Immunotherapy: During this treatment, we put your immune system to work to help fight the cancer. We do this by creating a special substance that is designed to help bolster your body’s own defense mechanisms. Immunotherapy can be administered topically or through an injection.
If you are noticing any changes to the health of your skin, or if there is a suspicious growth that you want checked out, then it’s time to call Boulevard Dermatology in Philadelphia, PA, today. We would be happy to schedule your next skin cancer screening.
How your dermatologist in North Philadelphia can help you turn back the hands of time
The skin on your face handles all kinds of stress. Environmental pollution, sun exposure, wind, and other factors can all leave a lasting mark on your face. One of the most damaging things to happen to your skin is the normal aging process.
Fortunately, your dermatologist can help using several effective techniques and materials to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Dr. Deirdre Wood at Boulevard Dermatology in North Philadelphia, PA, wants to help you turn back the hands of time, and take back your beautiful young face.
Aging causes loss of moisture and elasticity, so your skin can sag. When you show expressions like laughing, smiling, frowning, or squinting, your skin doesn’t “snap back” the way it did when you were young. The result is WRINKLES!
For early signs of wrinkles and fine lines, sometimes a non-invasive treatment is the right choice. Consider these options to treat tiny, shallow wrinkles and fine lines:
- Creams containing anti-oxidants and vitamins to smooth out wrinkles
- Vitamin A acid products to reduce wrinkles and even out skin tone
- Alpha-hydroxy acids to reduce the appearance of wrinkles
For larger, deeper wrinkles, a cosmetic procedure can be very helpful. Consider these additional treatment options to help your skin look more vibrant and youthful:
- A chemical peel to remove the top layer of dead skin and reveal the young, dewy skin underneath
- A dermal filler like Juvederm to smooth out wrinkles by filling them in, making your skin look smooth, plump and youthful
- A wrinkle relaxer like Botox to temporarily freeze muscles and nerves at the injection site, making your skin look smooth and wrinkle-free
This is just a sample of the many procedures available to help you look younger. For a complete list of available treatments to reduce wrinkles, please visit the Wrinkle Treatment page on the website at http://www.boulevardderm.com/wrinkle-treatment.html
It is possible to take back what the years have done to your face. Find out more about how wrinkle treatment can help you by calling Dr. Wood at Boulevard Dermatology in North Philadelphia, PA. Improve your skin by calling today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.