What is Psoriasis?
How your dermatologist in Northeast Philadelphia, PA, can help you have beautiful, clear skin
Psoriasis is a genetic autoimmune disease during which your body causes you to make skin cells abnormally fast, leading to rough, scaly patches on your skin. Psoriasis can be itchy, unpleasant, and unsightly causing the red, scaly patches on your scalp, elbows, knees, and other areas of your body. Certain triggers can make psoriasis worse.
Fortunately, there are effective treatments to get relief and help clear up psoriasis break-outs. Dr. Deirdre Wood at Boulevard Dermatology in Northeast Philadelphia, PA, offers treatments to help give you the clear, beautiful skin you deserve.
Treatment for psoriasis varies, depending on how much of your body is affected. For mild psoriasis, it means that less than 3% of your body is affected. Mild psoriasis treatment from your dermatologist typically includes:
- Over-the-counter or prescription moisturizing creams, shampoos, or bath treatments
- Topical steroid medications to reduce itch and slow skin cell growth
- Light or laser therapy to help eliminate psoriasis patches
You have moderate psoriasis if between 3% and 10% of your body is affected, and severe psoriasis if over 10% of your body is affected. For moderate to severe psoriasis, you need more than just over-the-counter treatments. Professional treatment for moderate to severe psoriasis typically includes:
- Prescription strength oral medications including cyclosporine and methotrexate, which lower production of skin cells and reduce inflammation
- Biologic drugs which help to suppress the immune system; these are reserved for the most severe cases of psoriasis.
- Light therapy using natural sunlight, lasers, or phototherapy to help eliminate psoriasis patches
The itching and burning pain of psoriasis can be uncomfortable, but you don’t have to deal with it alone. Your dermatologist wants to partner with you to achieve the clear, beautiful skin you deserve. Get some help for psoriasis by calling Dr. Deirdre Wood at Boulevard Dermatology in Northeast Philadelphia, PA. Get back to clear skin by calling today!